1 (edited by vvb 2010-01-19 20:16:59)

Topic: Mirror

I've complete first version of translation of first part of game Mirror. It's VERY ugly, VERY lame and so on. I need a native English-speaking person, who could correct my errors.

How to install:
1. Download original (russian) version of game: http://code.google.com/p/instead-games/downloads/list
or direct link: http://instead-games.googlecode.com/fil … -0.4.1.zip
2. Download attached RAR file.
3. Install original game.
4. UnRAR all files in archive into game directory. You should replace original files with a new ones.
That's all.

Sorry for bad english.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon mirror_eng_01.rar 13.38 kb, 179 downloads since 2010-01-19 

Re: Mirror

Well, I'm not a native speaker of the English language  roll , but maybe I can help a little. Is your request still valid?

I took the liberty of updating the main and actions files already and have done a little preliminary work on part_1 (not finished bu far), just to get the hang of it. Though I'm not completely certain, I do think that you mean a "tray" when you speak of a "plate". Is that correct? Or did you have another item in mind? Since I'm not deep enough into INSTEAD/lua, I had to change the "plate" object name into "tray" as well...  hmm

When you think this trial bit is acceptable and useful, I could start working on the remainder of the part_1 file.

Just let me know!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon update part_1.lua 37.06 kb, 180 downloads since 2011-08-24 

Attachment icon updated actions.lua 5.73 kb, 165 downloads since 2011-08-24 

Attachment icon updated main.lua 4.55 kb, 161 downloads since 2011-08-24 

"Mirror" is not an "standart" (sorry, I can't find right word for it) INSTEAD game. Also it's quite old (uses < 1.2.0 INSTEAD api). So don't pay much attention to code. smile
And yes, you can help, and you help is much appreciated! smile

Willem wrote:

Well, I'm not a native speaker of the English language  roll , but maybe I can help a little. Is your request still valid?

YES! Thank you. Some help on correcting english translates is always welcome!

Willem wrote:

I took the liberty of updating the main and actions files already and have done a little preliminary work on part_1

That's great! I've look through your corrections and they are very good. Your english is much more "englishier" then mine. wink

Willem wrote:

Though I'm not completely certain, I do think that you mean a "tray" when you speak of a "plate". Is that correct?

Yes, you are right. PLATE suits more in this case.

Willem wrote:

I had to change the "plate" object name into "tray" as well...  hmm

You should be VERY cautious with changing object names in ONE file of a project. There are many objects which are using in ALL parts of a game. So, if you change name of an object in just ONE file, the game loose integrity. The code of a game have been tested many times with current names of room and objects. Names of object is not showing to player, so, they could be changing only if there is a REAL reason for it.
By doing ANY changes in lua code of a game (except just correcting text) you are changing all game. After changing names, an old saves is not working any more. After any changes in code have been made, you should replay game from beginning till the end.  Author of game is HAVE TO replay entire game just to make sure that nothing else have been broken...

Willem wrote:

When you think this trial bit is acceptable and useful, I could start working on the remainder of the part_1 file.

You should finish correction of part_1! In a couple of days I can translate part_2 and send it to you.
My email is vvb.backup@rambler.ru. Just write me a note to make a connection...

I've planned to rewrite a code of "Mirror" to make it more modern (to new INSTEAD version) anyway.
So, "Mirror" will have same structure of code just like "Kayleth". You'll could choose language on first window and so on...

That's OK. I'll try and take up the updates on the translation of part 1 during the coming week (don't have time every evening, but I'll try to speed up the work).

Funny, by the way, I received an email with a russian subject:
"Почтовый робот форума "
containg the text:
"vvb с INSTEAD Community Forum отправил(а) вам сообщение. Вы можете ответить пользователю vvb, ответив на это письмо.
Содержание сообщения следующее:"

I don't understand a word of it, but I assume it's an automatically generated email, telling me there is a reaction on my post in the INSTEAD forum...  big_smile

As soon as I've completed the job on part 1, I'll let you know.
And when you've finished the translation of part 2, just let me know.

Kind regards,
Willem Beekman

I've finish my lame translation of 2nd part. Have you finish correcting the 1 part?

Here is new version of game.
http://instead.nailedgames.com/get/file/113002/game

9 (edited by Chinos 2012-10-13 14:27:44)

Help I'm stuck.

At the 2nd chapter the forest, river
Talked to spirit, survive the troll.
Got leaf, jug with water, flint etc. but cant proceed further

Some hints please
I have been searching thru and disappointed with many interactive fictions that too difficult control, lack of graphic and music. Instead solve those problems.

Love instead games but I couldn't play most of them due to language barrier.

thanks you for making this game available in english.

Chinos wrote:

Help I'm stuck.

Have you seen Master of Forest?

if yes, read next spoiler

Have you help him to resurrect?

if yes, then read this:

There is something under the stone here. this object is needed to proceed further...

if not read this:

to resurrect the Master of the Forest you should do a couple of things

clarify last spoiler (read this if you DON'T KNOW EXACTLY what to do only)!!!

- some water could help here (not plain water, though)
- you have to give something to TREE. something. just try to guess it by yourself wink

I've translate 3 of 4 parts of Mirror to english. but in 4th part there is a text puzzle which VERY TIGHTLY binded to russian language. to translate it to english I need a person who can rhyme some english text.
so, you can check Kayleth. this game was originally english.
there is a project Star Heritage, which also my remake of old ZX game. I want to translate Star Heritage game to english, but there are about 500-600 Kb of text to translate, so... may be I'll start it someday. but I need a person who can check my lame translate.

vvb,
Thanks for the hints but Im still stuck.
I don't know how to get the 'not plain water'.
Is it something to do with the fruit? I could eat it.
Is it something to do with jug of water? I could only drink it.

I've tried kayleth. It is fun but about half way thru the game, an error message says that a specific file is missing. So, I couldnt go further.
I might re-load it after done with mirror.
I am a (english to thai) part-time translator, thinking about translating this game into Thai but discouraged by lack of programming knowledge.

Chinos wrote:

Im still stuck.
I don't know how to get the 'not plain water'.

So, you have been in troll's village. If you have leave it without getting nothing, you did it wrong.
More than this. If you've alert the troll, you will cannot get needed objects, you have to start this part over. Troll is not allow you to wander around his village any more...

More clarify:

There is something in some of troll's building.

Just to make sure:

When you get to needed building, it's NOT so obvious about getting object. You have to READ very carefully all messages.
Chinos wrote:

I've tried kayleth. It is fun but about half way thru the game, an error message says that a specific file is missing. So, I couldnt go further.

Could you send the error message please? I try to fix the problem.

Chinos wrote:

I am a (english to thai) part-time translator, thinking about translating this game into Thai but discouraged by lack of programming knowledge.

Whoa... Mirror on Thai?... well if you do it, your translation can be added t multi language version of game.
About programming knowledge... You don't have to be programmer.
Just compare two versions of any part_x.lua (for example, part_1.lua and part_1_eng.lua). It's better to use special program. Something like diff or meld or vimdiff, or whatever can show differences. Than you should look very carefully which parts of code need to be translated.
Generally, it's messages which is in quotes.

If you are on windows, you can use Beyond Compare, nice tool for viewing diffs.
But basically yes, in-game text usually look like this:

"Lorem ^Ipsum"

'Lorem ^Ipsum'

[[Lorem ^
Ipsum]]

All of the above have the same result:

Lorem
Ipsum

Note that text in quotes or apostrophes cannot have literal linebreaks in it (when you simply press enter). For long pieces of text it's recommended to use [[ ... ]]. They work just like quotes, but allow inserting new lines.

Also there is some ^ symbols in the example above. Those are real linebreaks that Instead uses in game. Literal linebreaks are ignored -- they are needed for source code readability only.

More examples:

"Lorem ^ Ipsum"

|
      v

Lorem
Ipsum

---------------------

"Lorem ^^ Ipsum"

|
      v

Lorem

Ipsum

If you have questions or problems feel free to post them on the forum or in jabber conference instead@conference.jabber.ru

After wondering around and surprisingly enter the troll's village by chance, whatever I did seem too alert the troll so he goes hide in the hous. Then I whatever I did would end up getting his arrow, exept going in shed.Now I know that I did it wrong at troll village. The best I could do is get to the shed, bang the barrel, knock him with box.

Chinos wrote:

The best I could do is get to the shed, bang the barrel, knock him with box.

Before "summon" the troll you HAVE TO FIND SOME OBJECT HERE!

If you can't, read

The only object that is here is barrel, so you have to manipulate with it.
I mean NOT TO BANG on it! The other one

next hint

you have to move it

next

it's TOO HEAVY!

next

HEAVY!!! still no ideas???

next

why you can not pick heavy object?

next

you have to drop something before trying to take the barrel

yikes  finally, the right clue. Thanks vvb. Now  I could move from frustration part to having fun part of the game. smile

Vvb
I take items from forest master.
Able to proceed thru cave and got crystal.
Now I am lost.....

Well, the crystal you've got contain great power within.

It's some sort of weapon.

There are only two enemies on this level. You can try to use it on both of them.